You think it doesn't affect you, think again. The new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) is going to affect everyone. I didn't think much about this law when I first heard about it, I was actually very happy with it, why wouldn't I want more saftly and regulations for my childrens toys and clothing. These seem like good things to have stronger restrictions on so we don't have as many recalls as we did in 2007 (remember all the Chinese made toys that had large amounts of lead??). But then as I started reading more into this law I started to realize that this will not just affect the toys that are being imported from China, this will affect all toys and clothing made by anyone from this date on. So just to give you an example, the wonderful hand carved wooden trains that a retired guy makes and sells will be illegal to purchase unless he pays upto $500.00 per toy to be tested and then stamped with the CPSIA stamp of approvel. And here is the big kicker that got me all wound up. I'm a stay at home mom, one of the ways I'm able to be a stay at home mom is because I sell my childrens used clothes and toys and purchase used items. This keeps my cost down and helps out with the budget. If this law stays the way it is I will no longer be legal able to buy or sell used clothing/toys. Can you imagine, it will actually be illegal to buy or sell used clothing/toys unless I have each item tested - again at $500.00 a pop.
Now I can go on and on about this but I would like you to read it for yourself and do what you think you need to do with the information. I have written my congressman and senator already to express my feelings on this law. The law was poorly written and it just needs some amendments put into place so small bussiness, handmade toys and used clothing stores don't go out of bussiness.
Here are some links that I found helpful:
http://www.rescuemarketing.com/blog/2008/12/15/cpsia-and-homemade-toys/
Write a letter to your representative:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=12389726&content_dir=ua_congressorg
No comments:
Post a Comment