Hannah Kate and Me

A day in the life of a mom.
Some days are full of fun, some are full of frustration.
But just like I say to the kids
"you get what you get and don't have a fit".

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An all nighter, no karate for Kate and no finger sucking for Hannah

Last night at about 1130p we had a huge storm come through town. It only lasted about 20min but it was a doosey. The thunder and lighting was right on top of us. And then the hail started and soon after the power went out. For most people this just kinda sucks, for parents that have kids that sleep with sound machines, this really sucks. Hannah was never phased by the sound machine going off, but Kate - WOW thats another story. She is almost crying for us before the final sound leaves the speakers of the machine. I was up and in her room so fast last night because I know how scared she gets. I was hoping that it would just be out for a few minutes and then back on - like always. So I laid with her for about 20min and still no power. Its not past 12m. Greg decides to call the power company who says that the power will not be restored until after 3a. Okay, so what do I do with a kid that wont sleep without her sound machine???? - oh dad!!!! Yep, Greg took it from there and hung out with her until 7a. I think they slept a little, but Greg said every time he would start to doze off she would ask him a random question "dad, do you like spaghetti?"

Today was Kate's second Karate class. Last week didn't go great, I was just hoping it was her getting sick or something but today didn't go any better - actually much worse. Kate has made it very clear today that Karate is not her thing. She would not step foot inside the studio today. Oh, sure I could have forced her kicking and screaming, but instead we just sat in the lobby for the entire class and when it was done we left. Your asking yourself "why did you just leave when she refused to go in", well I felt like I needed her to see that just because she didn't want to do it didn't mean we were just going to leave. So yes, we sat for 30 min. and waited for the class to let out. I was not the happiest mom, but I think she got the picture. You don't just leave because you don't want to do it. Point made, now we'll see if a 3 year old was able to pick up on that point.

Hannah is still working very very hard at not sucking her fingers. As you remember we started with no finger sucking in the car and she did great with that. And the past 2 weeks we've been working with no finger sucking downstairs. Well I think today was the first day that she was able to sit and watch TV and not suck her fingers. She was doing it without even thinking before and today I could see her fingers go towards her mouth and she would stop - I think we're making progress. She say today that she wishes we we're still working on just the car part, that way she could still be sucking her fingers in the house - she's a smart cookie.

No comments: